Dr. Appasamy Velu is a graduate of the National University of Malaysia and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh). He developed his interest in Spine Surgery while training under Professor Mohammed Razak, the head of Kuala Lumpur Hospital’s Spinal Surgery Department. He then furthered his knowledge and completed his Post Graduate Training in Spine Surgery in Scotland and a Spinal Fellowship under Professor Jurgen Harms in Germany. Dr. Appasamy, with his commitment to pursue excellence in his chosen field, traveled to the United States where he mastered various Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery procedures.
Dr. Appasamy is one of the pioneers and key opinion leaders in Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion Surgery in Asia. His other core competencies include Maximal Access Surgery Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion, Minimally Invasive Surgery Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion, Direct Lateral Interbody Fusion, Cervical Disc Replacement, Spinal Microsurgery, and Microdiscectomy.
Dr. Appasamy, who has over 25 years of experience, is one of the trusted spine surgeons at Neuro Spine KL. Prior to going into private practice, he held a number of positions, including:
- Clinical Specialist, Department of Hand and Microsurgery, Kuala Lumpur Hospital, 1994
- Clinical Specialist, Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, HTAR Klang and Kuala Lumpur Hospital, 1994 - 1996
- Specialist Registrar, Division of Spinal Surgery, Stracathro Hospital, Scotland, 1997
He also attended and completed a number of training programmes and courses both local and abroad, including the following:
- NuVasive Marquis Visit Program - XLIF, University Hospital, Las Vegas, 2010
- Spinal Microsurgery, Munich, Germany, 2010
- International Minimal Invasive Spinal Surgery, Wooridul Spine Hospital, Seoul, Korea, 2010
- ISAKOS Congress, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 2011
- ISAKOS Congress, Toronto, Canada, 2013
- Visiting Surgeon Program OLIF - Dr. Richard Hynes, Holmes Regional Medical Centre, Melbourne, Florida, May 2014
Ramsay Sime Darby Health Care is a joint venture of Sime Darby and Ramsay Health Care, two of the big names in the field of healthcare in Malaysia and Indonesia. Established in 1985, it is now one of the most trusted private medical providers in Malaysia. The organization expanded and established two additional centres namely Sime Darby Medical Centre Ara Damansara and Sime Darby Medical Centre ParkCity. These offer comprehensive and personalized preventive services and ambulatory care with its own health screening, vascular & interventional radiology and fertility centres. It also offers imaging and diagnostics, digestive and liver care, and blood diseases care, among others.