Gachon University Gil Medical Center was established in 1958 as Lee Gil Ya Obstetrics in Yong-dong, Jung-gu, Incheon. After more than five decades, it has grown into one of Korea’s leading medical facilities with five hospitals, two research institutes, and six independent medical centers (cancer, heart and cerebral, ophthalmology and otorhinolaryngology, dental, women and emergency treatment centers).
Showing its absolute commitment to patients' health and well-being, the hospital reinforces a no-deposit admission policy since 1958. Over the years, it has participated in various medical voluntary programs providing free medical services in insular areas. These include its free check-up for uterine cancer program, which is carried out every year since 1959.
The hospital is also committed to advancing the field of medicine and has established its own medical school, producing its first graduates in February 2004, who all passed the Korean Medical Licensing Examination. The medical school’s goal is to nurture medical teams that are more specialized and equipped with the ability and philosophy to become the leader of other medical schools in the country.
Gachon University Gil Medical Center has pioneered several procedures over the years and has introduced ground-breaking technologies in Korea, including:
- Brought high-tech radiation oncology Novalis TX to Korea (2009)
- Introduced 64 slice MDCT (multi-detector computed tomography) to Korea (2005)
- Introduced new treatment for spinal diseases, performed first neck disk replacement in Kyungin region, removed kidney stones using angiography, and utilised laparoscopic oncology machine (2004)
- First in Korea to perform noninvasive surgery using urology machines to operate on congenital pyelography ureter constriction disease (2001)
- First in Korea to apply gene examinations to test sudden infant deaths (2001)